Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:10:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        saxonww@ufl.edu
Subject:   Samba 2.0.6 problem

Hello,

Upon upgrading to 4.0-RELEASE, I have been unable to access any local
shares with samba 2.0.6. Using smbclient, I am able to access shares on
other machines, but I cannot access my own and other machines cannot
access shares on my machine.

I had been running 4.0-CURRENT for a long time with no problems, so I
don't think the upgrade to -RELEASE would have made any difference. I
haven't seen anyone else have the problem either.

Here is info from my log.smb:

[2000/03/16 17:57:40, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(216)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 2590 are
available.
[2000/03/16 17:57:40, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(667)
  Can't create or use IPC area. Error was Cannot allocate memory
[2000/03/16 17:57:40, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

I did add the following lines to my kernel config the other day, in order
to eliminate some warning messages associated with XFree86 4:

options         SHMALL=1025
options         SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options         SHMMAXPGS=1025
options         SHMMIN=2
options         SHMMNI=256
options         SHMSEG=128

I probably should not have done this because I really dont know what it
accomplishes other than set some shared memory parameters.

Do the above errors mean there was not enough shared memory to allow
allocation or is there something else I should be looking at?

Please send a cc to me directly if you reply, as I am not subscribed to
-questions.

Thanks,

Will Saxon