Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:03:14 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

At 10:32 AM 2/12/98 -0800, lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov wrote:
>I know this is nitpicking, but, by "coax" I assume you mean
>"thin ethernet", "thin-net", whatever.  Thick coax worked
>just fine for me, much better than 10baseT when it first
>came out, or trying to use 10baseT on older wiring.

I'd expect it from you. ;)

It was thin-net.

>A clean thick ethernet coax installation was no problem -
>except that it is expensive/time-consuming to install,
>and, worse, to modify.

Never say nor heard of any thick-net use in my experience.

>However, 10baseT became very reliable about four years ago,
>and, on a good cat-5 installation, is very nice, as everyone
>knows.  I agree that thin-net should be avoided like the
>plague.  I never had anything but trouble with it, even for
>short distances.  I was surprised to see it still being promoted
>for cheap home/small-office installations, as I observed in an
>electronics store a few nights ago.  Especially now that you can
>get inexpensive, small 10baseT hubs (but only for about the last
>year or so has the price really come down) from several vendors.

Then it became reliable before I started networking about 3 years ago.

I'll admit thin-net is easy to set up, as someone mentioned, and a number of people I know use it at home.  Mostly I'd guess because most places will give it away.  Not to mention a hub is not needed and they don't know how to may a cross cable for only 2 systems.

FWIW, I have worked with large coax, but only for radio applications.  One of the few that would solder both the center _and_ shield on a PL-259.

>Today, there is absolutely no reason to use anything other
>than 10baseT (or 100baseT) on new installations.  Always use
>level-5 wiring.  [And, I would recommend eliminating *all*
>the thin-net coax from existing installations.]

Amen!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com