Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:46:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        fabry@panam.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing out man pages

>Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 10:25:36 -0500
>From: "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>

>When I try to print out man pages, I get lots of junk, mainly ^H characters.
>How can I print out man pages which will be legible?
>Have postcript printer and I'am using a2ps to convert Ascii to PS.
>Thanks,

Ummm....  As long as the generated PostScript is properly interpreted by
your printer, I think the results from:

	man -t [topic in question] | lpr

look a lot nicer.  (This is assuming that you have groff & friends
installed, of course.)

(Reason for the caveat up there about the "generated PostScript" is that
it seems that while some (most?) man pages print OK, the man page for
(e.g.) "ps" doesn't get handled properly on the network-connected LaserJet
I normally use here.  ghostview displays it OK, but even if I manually
generate the PostScript (by invoking groff directly) & play some games to
force it to deal with maximal braindamage, the printer just pretends
nothing happened.  Same thing happened with some of the amanda man pages,
so I ended up building amanda at home & generating the man pages there --
that was a SPARC/Solaris 2.6 box.)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621