Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 01:26:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Harris <gharris@wr.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win 95 install

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Gary Harris wrote:

>   I need some assistance with a Win95 install of FreeBSD 2.2.6. I have
> created a 300-odd MB partition for it but am having inordinate amounts
> of trouble getting it to work. The partition is on the Primary Win95 IDE drive as wd0s2.
> - The dist's install OK except for X. I get a message saying that the
> 2.1 compat dist could not be found. Is this required for X? I found
> nothing that says so.

No, you just missed the compat21/ directory.

> - The kernel config won't save. I.e. after I disable the unneeded
> hardware the system still goes searching for all the disabled ones. The
> install floppy fails after the kernel config and reboots. I've recreated
> the floppy with the same result.

Never seen that.  How are you disabling devices?  Are you using visual or
CLI userconfig?

> - I foolishly re-installed the working version and now can't get past
> the boot prompt. Error messages say they can't find boot.config and
> boot.help, I think.

That tends to indicate that the installation fell over at some point.  Are
you sure you set up your DOS disk properly?

> - In the first instance, I discovered using the provided utility that
> the drive geometry was not the same in FreeBSD as reported. I changed it
> and it booted next try. That fix doesn't work now. The geometry is still
> 1 cylinder different to the reported one. Changing and writing does not
> achieve a boot.

That isn't significant.

> - When I had a working install, the mouse config would not work. I tried
> every combination of driver and port in the options menu but could not
> even see the cursor. It was only visible whilst holding down a key and
> cycling the screens.

Did you enable moused?  If you did then the X default mouse, SysMouse,
should work.