Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:48:10 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Brian Bennett <Bahamat@email.msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which X is Which?

Brian Bennett wrote:

> I want to download and install X Windows for my FreeBSD partition, but
> there are 2 versions at the FTP site.  3.3 and 3.2  Which one should I get?
>  Is one less stable?  I heard somewhere that versions that ended in an odd
> number were not 'official' releases.  Is that true?

No. For full info on the various X releases, see http://www.xfree86.org.
I use both 3.2 and 3.3 with FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE machines, and both work
fine for me. 3.3 has support for more graphics card, and some of *this*
support may not be production-quality yet. Again, see the XFree docs for
details.

> How do I get access to devices that weren't setup during installation?  I
> have a home LAN, and I want to try and connect to the other computer.  I
> also wand to connect to the Internet, but I can't figure out how to use my
> modem.

See the handbook and tutorials on http://www.freebsd.org. They cover
this problem pretty well.

> I have created 2 users on my system.  When I login as one of them, if I
> make a mistake at the command line and I press the backspace I get a ^H
> character.  If I log in as root this doesn't happen.  Why is that?  What
> can I do to change that for my regular users?
>
> Bahamat
Nadav