Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:05:08 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   raw disk for vmware2?

Does anyone have raw disk working with vmware2, either by linking /compat/linux/dev devices to real disk devices (/dev/ad0 etc.) or to a vnX device and a largefile?

I have linked  hda to /dev/ad1 which lets the vmware config wizard read the
partion table and identify slices/(dos style)partions however I get an error
when I acutally power on the virtual machine.

Does linux have a  dedicated safe, read only device for hard disks that I havn;t
created? I have only hda ->/dev/ad1 and hda1->/dev/ad1s1.