Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:41:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Cc:        keithl@wakko.gil.net
Subject:   Re: Vi and mapping keys

> Howdy,
>
> Perhaps I'm archaic but I like vi. however when I have tried to map
> functions to specific key (per Learning the vi Editor - O'Reilly & assoc.)
> nvi doesn't seem to want to do it. It says things like:
>
> ^V not a vi command - attempting to trap the escape
> [[. usage (after maping and attempting to use a special key)

Pardon?  Would you like to map <ESC>[[. to anything?

I tried it, and typed:
:map <^V><ESC>[[. 1G
(means: CTRL-V, to hide the escape, the escape, two ['s and the ".".  After
it a space, and the "mapped to" 1G.  (As I haven't got any key, which sends it,
I set notimeout, too.)  And after it in command mode:
<ESC>[[.  And bingo!
After it, in the map list I have:
  ^[[[. 1G
  (As it have to.)
Something was wrong, I think.  Well, I like vi, too.

> is this a situation with vi or is it with termcap?

Maybe a pilot error.  But please send us your version!

> What have I missed or is nvi just not compatible with the above mentioned
> book (Learning the VI Editor)

I don't know, I've never read it.

Bye, Gabor