Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:16:38 -0400
From:      raviprasad20@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   interface down.

Hi,
This is regarding the formation of link local address in autoconfiguration.
the RFc mentions the four cases under which we have to form link local addresses. ( referc section 5.2 of rfc 2462).

I have checked the free BSD 4.2 code. I found that the code takes care of 1, 3 & 4th cases & to some extent 2nd case. I found that if the interface goes down because of some hardware fault & a new ethernet card is inserted then link local addresses are not formed.

1)Is my understanding correct?
2)Is there any mechanism of clearing the IFF_UP flag of the ifnet structure in this case? My main question is whether the device driver will call some function so that the IFF_UP is cleared in the flags member of the ifnet structure?
3)Also if new card is inserted (without rebooting the system), whether autoconfiguration process will again start for the interface.

Kindly send me ur valuable sugesstions.
regards
ravi prasad