Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:04:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trying Bastille

I installed bastille which rendered my system un-bootable.

What I did: (1) installed via pkg; (2) turned iocage off and stopped it;
added the "enable line" to rc.conf; (3) updated bastille.conf setting the
zfs setting. What I did NOT do: activate pf.

I then did a bootstrap to download 12.3 made and deleted a contained until
I got the create syntax right; consoled into the jail.

At this point I did a zfs list to see where everything was. This from
memory as the system no longer has a boot record. The was no listing for
/zroot/bastille. The was a /zroot/ZROOT that I do not think (but not sure)
was there prior to my testing bastille. No listing for the bastille stuff
that was clearly on the disk somewhere, just not in any dataset zfs could
find.

At this point I rebooted thinking that would clean up whatever I had
done incorrectly. The system was set to only do UEFI booting. I get the
following with EFI boot

>> FreeBSD boot block
    Load Path: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
    Load Device: PciRoot(0x0)Pci ....  what gpart shows
    BootCurrent: 0009
      :
    Trying ZFS pool
      :
ending in a blank screen with the cursor in the upper left. So I turned UEFI
only mode off and booted from an install but I do not know gpart/zfs well
enough to do any thing useful.

Kind of a bad bug IMO that an "error" in the install process give this as a
result. I can restore the system so see If I can duplicate this. My current
state does not seem repairable as both the boot process and zfs seem to be
mucked up.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com