Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:41:54 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LAN - FBSD, W95, DOS....

At 17.14 21/01/99 -0600, you wrote:
>fennario.net).  Next thing:  I've tried connecting to the services on my
>FBSD box from the W95 machine, and keep getting password failures -
>although I defined the system as public.  So, I went ahead and added the
>Registry Key that makes Windows use plain text passwords.  Didn't help.
>Then, I redid the entire smb.conf file, so now it tries to connect to
>IPC$ (Could this be the problem?) and I get a password failure.  I have

  Are you sure that the public services in your smb.conf are guest OK?
  If yes, post the smb.conf section with definitions of services.

>a feeling that this resource can't be directly accessed.  Also, I have
>no idea how to mount the W95 drive from my FBSD box.

  There's something in the ports... The name's Sharity Light. I never tried
it, but it should do exactly what you want.

>I have a 486DX\33 sitting around with a lot of old but important files
>on it.  Would it be possible for me to install FBSD on a small portion
>of the root drive, allowing it to share the MS-DOS file system OVER the
>LAN?  I have no idea if this is possible, but I'm sure I will shortly.
>=)

  You can easily mount FAT volumes on FreeBSD and share them with NFS,
Samba, etc.
  Read the mount man page. Mount something "permanently" by editing
/etc/fstab. Once the filesystem is mounted, treat it just like a FreeBSD FS
(place it in /etc/exports for NFS, place it in your smb.conf for Samba, etc.).

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it