Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:12:08 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tony Montana <tonymontanadea@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java plugin wont work in 4.10.

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:53:38AM -0700, Tony Montana wrote:
> Hey everyone, I have installed 3 sun versions of the
> sdk and the jre, and also 1 of the blackdown sdk and
> jre. After installing i made a soft link from the
> plugin in the sdk to the plugin folder of mozilla.
> Within those sdks i tried all the plugins and every
> combination of plugin folder in mozillla from
> linux-firebird to the regualr mozilla(which i know
> wont work but was desperate to figure it out). None of
> the said above has worked. If anyone has installed
> java successfuly(not just the sdk but viewing
> abilities for things such as java games) would you
> please share the steps and folder locations you used
> to get it working. Thanks in advance.

If you're running the native Mozilla or Firefox, then you need to use
the plugin from a native JDK or JRE.  If you're running the Linux
Mozilla or Firefox, then you need to use the plugin from one of the
Linux JREs.

You should be able to use one of the native Diablo Java 1.3 ports on a
4.x system, which works very well.  However, if you can manage to
compile up the JDK-1.4.2 port I find it works even better.  Note that
is easier said than done: follow the instructions in the port for
obtaining the sources etc. and make sure you've got plenty of space
available and be prepared to wait a long time for the compile to
finish.

To enable Java support in a native browser, once you've got an
appropriate JDK or JRE installed, all you should need to do is

    # cd /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
    # ln -s /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

(ammend as necessary if you're using a different JRE or JDK).

Then fire up mozilla and type=20

    about:plugins

into the location bar, and you should see details of what MIME types
etc. are supported.  I find it works very well and with excellent
stability.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20