Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:59:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> > >AMD 5x86
> >
> > Interesting... I am seeing the same thing on my AMD 586 as well. It looked
> > like bad RAM, but I adjusted the wait states to be a little more
> > conservative and the box is more stable now.  Mine is a 5x86, 48MB RAM, NCR
> > 875 and a couple of ed0 cards....
>
> Well, for now the common factor are a 486-class CPU and the ed0 card. My
> machine was running just fine (without any reboots) under 2.2.8. As soon
> as I put 3.0 (-CURRENT at that time) on the box, the spontaneous reboots
> started. And it would be an incredible coincidence that my RAM would be
> broken at the same time I upgraded the machine ;)
>
> >From the above data, the culprit could either be the 486-class CPU or the
> network card. But as I don't use the network card, I suspect the CPU.
>
> Is anyone with a 586 or 686-class CPU seeing the spontaneous reboots with
> 3.0-STABLE or 4.0-CURRENT?

I was getting reboots under 3.0-RELEASE, almost always when the daily
scripts run. One of these reboots was directly preceeded by some disk
errors (disk and controller are new) that showed up in
/var/log/messages. I haven't seen anything since a cvsup and 'make
world' on Saturday, Feb 6. This may be an unrelated hardware problem,
don't know yet.

CPU: Pentium II/Xeon/Celeron (350.80-MHz 686-class CPU)
NIC: fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet>

Chuck