Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:55:30 -0800
From:      Nate Puri <natedawg@office.ompages.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems in X and ports

Hi all,

I just successfully installed freebsd 3.3 on my laptop, pcmcia works, X works,
it was not this easy with Debian.

Two gripes.

1.  When I do a 'make' in a ports directory, it attempts to download software
    but *never* finds it, not for a single port, and tells me to download it
    manually and put it in distfiles/.  Why?  I'd really like it to work
    like it's supposed to.

2.  When I run X, everything looks fine, except for when I do opaque moves in
    my windowmanager (wmaker) or scroll up or down in an application.  It's
    damn slow and choppy.  Again, why?  What do I fix and how?

Thanks all in advance for your help.  On a side note, I'm so pleased that my
laptop finally works like it was designed.  The pc card drivers work
flawlessly when I suspend and resume.  FreeBSD is the only OS I've used, from
WinNT, Win9x, R H Linux, to Debian, to my custom built Linux.  I could never
get suspend resume to work correctly.  You guys really have pcmcia and apm
perfected for laptop PCs.  I shall be the envy of my friend's whose suspend/
resume freezes their computer,  screwed up their clocks, or broke their
networking drivers.  I will finally get huge uptimes on my laptop, a dream
as yet unrealized.  Thanks FBSD people, for knowing how to do it right.

Let me know if it is that easy to get hardware support on my Hauppage BT848
TV card, my HP IDE/Atapi CD-Writer, or my parallel port scanner.  Then I'll
wipe my debian box and go with FBSD there too!  Later,

--
NatePuri		publisher@office.ompages.com
FreeBSD Newbie		http://www.freebsd.org