Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 95 15:54:37 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        alexis@harley.ios.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin is blocked for quite a long time

>> >  I almost always
>> > have to wait about 40-60 seconds to connect to the host again after
>> > I've closed connection.
>>
>> If you've got this problem _always_, it's likely a DNS lookup problem.

>I've got it not always but very often. And it occures only if I
>try to connect right after I closed connection, otherwise it works
>perfectly.

>This IS NOT DNS problem. I'm responsible for DNS here, I guarantee :)

I sometimes have a similar problem with SunOS-4.1.3. When I close a
rlogin session and then want to reopen it, this particular attempt
stalls for about a minute.

My problem seems to be based on ptys. When one such attempt stalls and
I open another connection (from the same machine), which will result
in a different pty, it connects without problems, while the other (the
reconnect attempt) still stalls.

In a word, it looks like the pty needs some time to reset. Could you
try whether *all* connections are delayed or only one at a time, that
one that would use the pty just freed??

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  - BSD User Group Hamburg, Germany