Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:54:29 -0500
From:      "Ron Hensley" <ronh@intercom.net>
To:        "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        "questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crontab to backup mail in date format

I find its generally a lot easier to just have cron run a script file. In
the script file is where
you do all the metacharacters, date formatting, special programming, etc.

You can test you script by running it from the command line until you know
its working perfectly then
add a cron entry to run your script whenever you wish.

Adding a fancy entry with lots of arguments in the crontab itself, and then
having to wait for it to run
when schedualed, just to see if it worked can be a real pain.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth (About 1/4 of apenny these days!)