Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:03:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Joe Davidson <nugins99@netzero.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video Cards...

> Joe Davidson wrote:
>
> As an upcoming Computer Science Student,  I will be required to
> purchase a computer that is capable of running both Win/NT and
> FreeBSD.  I notice there is a list of supported configurations that
> includes Hard Drives, Network Cards, and Sound Cards,  but it says
> very little about Video Cards.  Does FreeBSD support AGP and/or is
> their any particular Video Card that is not currently supported by
> FreeBSD?

You have to remember the FreeBSD runs like a MS Command prompt except
the supported commands are quite different. That means mode 3 video.
All video cards support mode 3. It isn't until you start x-windows
that your system has a gui frontend. That is an application and you
have to go to their web page. You should start with
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/README.html and follow the link to
supported video chips.

A rule of thumb would probably be go with a version back on your video
card. The bleeding edge technology will most likely be supported in
16-colors, at least for a while. The manufacturer's aren't developing
the drivers and that means someone has to add the new parameters to a
driver. It is sort of like running NT4 and Win9x where you have
support at an early stage but someone is always finding something
broken. Six months after a system is released everything works and you
have the full package but now you are six months behind the bleeding
edge.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart