Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 2004 05:43:22 -0700
From:      Lorin Lund <llund@kleenmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
Subject:   Re: unknown tcp connections to dawsonmail.com

Qwest is my phone company.  When I signed up for DSL I opted for
and external DSL connection.  They supplied an ActionTec router/hub/modem.
It has an HTML interface for configuration and it has a limited amount
of traffic logging.  The log shows the external domain and the internal
IP address.  There are several Windoze boxes and my FreeBSD box.  The
ActionTec does NAT.  Anything that comes in that isn't a response to an
outgoing packet would normally be dropped.  But I have enabled an
option to have all other traffic go to my FreeBSD box.  I don't know if
the log shows only outgoing traffic or if it includes unsolicited incoming
stuff.  If so the dawsonmail.com could be them probing me.

But if they have managed somehow to get stuff into my FreeBSD system I want to
find out how and to cut it off.