Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:11:35 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use subversion to keep source, system and doc files up to date?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:12:34 -0700, Ed Flecko wrote:
> I see that CVS is being phased out in favor of subversion.
>
> I follow the documentation to keep my system up to date by doing:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # shutdown -r now
>
> and then...
>
> # mount -u /
> # mount -a -t ufs
> # adjkerntz -i
> # mergemaster -p
> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot

Compare this again to the comment header of /usr/src/Makefile,
but looks valid (even though few "cleanup steps" are missing).

> I've installed subversion from package, I want to follow the Stable
> (same as "Patch", right?) branch, and I'm struggling how to best use
> subversion to update my kernel source, system files, documentation,
> etc., so I can keep my system up to date.

No, -STABLE and -RELEASE-p<level> are different things. While
-STABLE is a development branch that has incorporated things
that have been considered "stable" on the continuous work
toward a new version (that's from -CURRENT), -RELEASE-p<level>
only contains security patches for that release: this is what
you get when using the binary method of updating, using freebsd-update.
The -CURRENT (or -HEAD) is the active devlopment branch
from which "good" things are passed to -STABLE. That
branch is considered "experimental".

If you want to follow the -RELEASE-p<level> way, why not
simply use freebsd-update, especially if you're _not_
running a custom kernel (as concluded from your commands
example shown above)?

> Can someone tell me how to use subversion to keep my /usr/ports,
> /usr/src and /usr/src/sys directories up to date?

/usr/src and /usr/src/sys are no distinct subtrees, i. e. /usr/src/sys
is a component of /usr/src. It's only different from /usr/ports.
Using the "old" CVS approach, both can be updated with the same
program (csup).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany