Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:37:19 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, wes@softweyr.com, scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, licia@o-o.org, jcwells@u.washington.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

At 10:31 PM 11/3/98 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>we're
>> >
>> >I think you mean IIS...

>> >Why port?  The BSDI versions of the servers already run on FreeBSD.
>>
>> Alright, first off, no I meant IE. IE is available for (as you pointed out)
>> HP/UX and Solaris.  My question is *why* HP/UX and Solaris?  Why is it that
>> Netscapes Servers (I invite you to find me a version of Enterprise Server,
>> Directory Server 3.5+, Messaging Server 3.5+, that'll work on FreeBSD) are
>> only for Solaris, sometimes DEC Unix, and HP/UX.. I've seen some cases of
>> Netscape only releasing something for DEC UNIX and/or Solaris, and everyone
>> else is stuck a version back.
>
>I'll have a hard time finding Directory Server 3.5+, for sure, since
>the current release is 3.1.  I guess this is a trick question?
>

>Let's see:
>
>Enterprise Server 3.5.1		Digital Alpha 	Digital Unix 4.0b
>
>Directory Server 3.0		Digital Alpha	Digital Unix 4.0b
>
>Messaging Server 3.5		Digital Alpha	Digital Unix 4.0b
>
>Why doesn't this run under FreeBSD Alpha?
>
>Well, because FreeBSD Alpha does not conform to the published ABI's
>for the DEC Alpha platform.
>

>For the BSDI x86 stuff... you have to buy it through BSDI, since
>BSDI helped port the code.  So you're looking in the wrong location.
>

>> Windows NT is easy to obtain at 300 or so bucks (workstation).  But if I'm
>> getting Netscape Servers under Netscape Free Server Software program
>> anyway, why not support Free Unixes?
>
>Because you're not a potential revenue source, and those products
>are offered as a hook to people who are expected to become revenue
>sources at a later date.
>

>					Terry Lambert
>					terry@lambert.org

Messaging 3.56 is under Solaris last I knew.  I think most of those servers
mentioned are.  I have a boxed set of Solaris 2.6 here for Sparc.. Maybe
I'll just have to go over to MiniComputer Exchange and get one..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998