Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:58:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk
Subject:   SCSI errors since removing FreeBSD.

Weird problem follows:

I've got an Gigabyte GA-586DX (dual processor pentium) motherboard
which has an onboard Adaptec-7880P. Attached to this is one Quantum
Fireball TM3200, 3.2 GB SCSI-2 drive. (P/N: TM32S012 Rev 04-D).

I can't get the disk to either verify or format from the SCSI BIOS.

Attempting to verify the disk, causes the entire machine to hang and
an attempt to format fails partway through and the next attempt to
format results in the following..

%
Unexpected SCSI Command Failed
Target SCSI ID:         0
SCSI CDB Sent:          03 00 00 00 0E 00 70 00 03 00
Host Adapter Status:    OOh - No host adapter error
Target Status:          O2h - Check Condition
Sense Key:              03h - Medium error
+Sense Code:            31h
+Sense Code Qualifier:  00h
Press ESC to continue
%

The drive is properly terminated and the motherboard is jumpered for
high byte terminator ON/OFF controlled by software. The BIOS is set as
controller terminated. Other than that, there is one ISA graphics card in
this machine, 64MB of EDO RAM and two Intel P133's, nothing else.

Now what's really odd is that I used this setup with FreeBSD-current and
SMP fairly recently and all was fine, since wiping the disc down from
FreeBSD and attempting to install over the top I'm getting all these
problems from a system that was working fine.

Many Thanks,

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/