Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2012 23:41:27 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        rondzierwa@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tyan s2892

--------------enig71003ED4CDF806F4D4BD52C0

This reminds me of my experiences trying to build a ZFS server on a 2x
Opteron 275 Tyan setup.
I would sometimes get very odd page faults while running (this has been
the case ever since FreeBSD 8.X,
this setup would work pretty well on FreeBSD 7.X).

Also, the boot loader issue reminds me of something I've seen in the
past around 2009.
Both :
- USB key boot
- USB CD ROM boot
would not work. I would just experience a complete freeze
(John Baldwin acknowledged there was a bug in how the real mode
interrupt handlers,
and register cleaning were called by the boot loader code)

In the end, I had to resort to booting from a CF card on an IDE port...

The odder thing is I never witnessed that behavior on any other motherboa=
rd.

Cheers,

On 04/03/2012 10:36 AM, rondzierwa@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm replacing the motherboard my server from a tyan s2885 to a s2892 an=
d am having some odd problems that I was hoping somebody could shed some =
light on.=20

> The board has two 280 cpu's and 4 x 2gb 400 mhz memory. The memory was =
working in my old s2885, so I'm fairly sure they are ok. I have tried the=
 system with 2 and then with just 1 memory stick and the problems are the=
 same.=20

> I have a 3ware 9550 pci-x raid controller, and the system boots from a =
sata ssd. I installed FreeBSD 8.2-release from dvd onto the ssd. The inst=
all went fine, but when I boot from the ssd, about halfway through the bo=
ot the system panics with a page fault. its fairly quick so its difficult=
 to see exactly what happened just before the panic, and the system claim=
s there is no dump device, so I don't have a dump.=20

> Also, when the raid controller is installed, the boot loader hangs. It =
presents the boot menu (windows/freebsd), I select F2 for FreeBSD, and it=
 prints a "-" and hangs. After a minute, it reboots by itself, and will d=
o the same thing over again.=20

> Partition 1 has dos installed and it boots ok with the raid controller =
installed.=20

> Is there something magic about the bios settings that needs to be set? =
Any ideas how to diagnose the problem?=20