Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:04:02 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where is Berkley DB libdb?

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:23:59PM +0400, Artem Koutchine wrote:
> Hi!
> I didn't get ANY response on the first time, so i am reposting the question,
> in
> a shorter form.
>
> I could not find any libdb.* file in my 4.1-stable (cvsed weekly), so, i
> installed
> berkeley db 2.7.7 from the ports. That gave me libdb2.*
> I have perl package DB_File which uses berkley db and it worked before, so
> db IS in the system, now i installed a newer version of DB_File and it
> works, but
> i don't know what versoon of db it uses
> so,
> 1) Did someone compiled berkeley db statically into some other library
> (libc?) like
> the  one on Red Hat did? not good.

A quick browse of the source shows that it is indeed in libc.

> 2) What version of db is installed by default, how can i see it?

Looking at the source it appears to be version 1.85

> 3) How can i avoid all this mess and make every single executable use the
> version
> i have installed (2.7.7).

Probably not without a lot of problems. You would basically have to replace
the system version with the new one, make world, make sure that any
database files that the system use have been updated. Not for the faint of
heart. (Basically, if you don't know how to check the sources to see what
version of db it has you shouldn't even try this.)

Note that files created with the 2.x versions of DB are *not* compatible with
the older 1.x versions.

> All this is causing me a lot of trouble, because DB_File cannot access db
> files
> created on Linux (Mandrake 7.1  and some version of Slackware, i think it is
> latest).
> I have multi-os development office, so, no os wars.

This is not really an OS problem but rather a problem with different DB
versions using different file formats and newer versions not being able of
handling the old formats.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson