Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:26:29 -0800
From:      Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
To:        Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 150 VLANS??

We do this with a FreeBSD VLAN trunk and switches, I would definitely not
try to do one large LAN.  There are too many problems with security, people
trying to hack each other's machines, etc.

We run 64 VLANs on 486 class gear and have great throughput.  Intel (fxp)
and (sis) drivers work well since the 802.1q VLAN header is stripped in
hardware.

 On 11/24/02 5:51 PM, "Andrew Thompson" <andy@fud.org.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have been given the task of providing broadband Internet for a new
> apartment building. There are about 150 apartments and I am trying to
> think of the best way to tackle this one.  The one condition is that I
> am able to track usage for billing purposes (simple byte count will do).
>
> The first option that sprung to mind was to just have one big lan with
> router, but there are concerns about security.
>
> My next idea was to buy four cisco 48-port switches and have each port
> on a seperate vlan, then create 150 vlan devices on FreeBSD and use ipfw
> or ipf to count the bytes on each vlan device.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is feasable? or am I doomed to fail?
>

> thanks
>
> Andrew

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology