Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:26:42 -0800
From:      Nesi Unanaowo <nesi_unanaowo@net.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap space problem

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> Nesi Unanaowo wrote,
> > Hi,
> >  I keep getting this message when in the X window environment.
> >
> > /kernl:swap_pager:out of swap space
> >
> > As a result the system grinds to a halt and i have to exit from X to
> > prevent the system from hanging. This is a standalone Pentium II
> > (350 MhZ) 128MB ram and 120MB of device swap. There are no jobs
> > running on my system. I am running FreeBSD 3.0
>
> This should not be using up that much swap space. This may be a sign
> something else is wrong. What is running? What is the output of
> 'ps aux'?
>
> That said, you probably should have more swap.
>
> > How do i add more swap space to my system? Although, i would think that
> > there was no need for this at this time. I did try to use "mkfile" but
> > it does
> > not seem to be supported.
>
> Three basic ways to add swap (off the top of my head),
>
> 1) Add a new device with more swap.
>
> 2) Reconfigure (repartiton) and existing device to change swap size or
>    add new swap.
>
> 3) Swap from a vnode device.
>
> Since you were using 'mkfile' I assume you were trying to do (3). You
> can use 'dd' to write a file for the job.
>
> HTH. And I just did (2) Tuesday if you prefer that method.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

1) nothing is running on the system. 'ps aux' shows nothing unusual.
    this problem only happens in X window environment.

2) regarding adding a new swap device, i don't have any available partition
on
    the disk. that is why i want to add a swap file. i do have enough disk
space
    in  /export/home partition. i figure that i can't use 'mkfile' to add a
swap file.

3) my question is: how do i add swap file in FreeBSD?. in solaris i would
    have done this:
   mkfile -v 300m /export/home/some_swap_file
   then i would enable swap thus:
   swap -a /export/home/some_swap_file
how do i accomplish the same in FreeBSD?

TIA

-Nesi