Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:28:51 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFirewall and Samba

>Dear Sirs.
>Does anyone run IPFIREWALL and Samba on a FBSD 4.0 box?
>If yes, please tell me how you got rid of the hostname lookup problem
>under NT/Win98. When enabling our firewall (with a primitive, non tricky
>ruleset), hosts which have not accessed the Samba server before starting
>the ip chain are not able to connect to shares. Some problems are
>mentioned in the Samba documentation, but no solution. maybe someone has
>a tricky way to go around ...

I have IPFIREWALL and Samba running on the same machines both here and at
work. I don't remember doing anything special other than making sure the
FreeBSD machine and all the Windows machines had complete and accurate hosts
files (/etc/host on FreeBSD, c:\windows\hosts on the Windows machines). That
stopped DNS lookups and what not even before we used IPFW (when using ppp(8)
and dial-up access, before we switched to DSL).

If you don't have too many machines, you could try that (and if it doesn't
work, holler again!). Otherwise, you might need to set up a DNS server for
your internal network.

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor