Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 14:43:17 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        George Vagner <vagner@spdc.ti.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: commands

> At 11:16 PM 5/1/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >> where can I learn about those neet commands on the "set login" line?
> >>
> >> i am still trying to figure out the "\"\ \ "\ thingy  hehe..
> >>
> >> thanks
> >
> >I think the best examples are in the man page:
> >
> >[.....]
> >        set dial chat-script
> >[.....]
> >           For example (wrapped for readability);
> >
> >                 set login "TIMEOUT 5 \"\" \"\" login:--login: ppp \
> >                 word: ppp \"!sh \\\\-c \\\"echo \\\\-n label: >&2\\\"\" \
> >                 \"!/bin/echo in\" HELLO"
> >[.....]
> >
> >And if you think that's confusing, take a look at the ppp.8 source:
> >
> >.Pp
> >For example (wrapped for readability);
> >.Bd -literal -offset indent
> >set login "TIMEOUT 5 \\"\\" \\"\\" login:--login: ppp \e
> >word: ppp \\"!sh \\\\\\\\-c \\\\\\"echo \\\\\\\\-n label: >&2\\\\\\"\\" \e
> >\\"!/bin/echo in\\" HELLO"
> >.Ed
> >

> so how in the &^#% can a normal user configure their login without knowing
> this cryptic symbolism? your telling me that anyone who wants to
> log into a provider has to send a message to questions so the guru's
> can debug their login script or the user has to learn the symbolisms.

No I'm not, I was joking.  There are ``simple'' and ``normal''
examples in the man page and in the example files.

> I think there has to be an easier way, this kind of cryptic trickery
> is just what turns people off about freebsd, it takes 3 phd's and 17
> techs to figure out how to log into another computer! how do you expect
> "normal" people to figure this out on their own.

There's only one concept there, the ``escape character''.  That
coupled with the knowledge of how many different layers parse the
string will allow you to work it out.  If you can't work that out, do
it by trial and error.  If you can't do that, use the examples in the
example files.  If you can't do that, ask someone else.  If you can't
do that, you probably don't know what a modem is either.

> i think the "expect" program has an easier way of doing things but what do i
> know i am just a user.

So use the "expect" program.  There's an example in the manual on how
to use the "chat" program.  I'm sure you can do the translation.

Sorry to be a bore about this, but the objective here is
functionality.  I'd rather hear a complaint that "the ``\'' confuses
me" instead of a complain that "It's *impossible* to do this with
your chat implementation".  If you want to take the functionality
away, edit the source.  That's what it's there for.  If you want to
front-end it to make it pretend to be more simple, submit patches etc
to freebsd-bugs.  Otherwise, read the manual page and if I've omitted
a good explanation, send me patches.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;