Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:58:57 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        Vladimir N Silyaev <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions on Vmware2 (or vmware3?) on current

At 9:45 AM +0100 2/15/02, Mark Santcroos wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 14, 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > The vmware2 port seems to depend on linux_base-6.1, would
>>  there be any problem using linux_base-7.1 instead?  (I guess
>>  that may also depend on the rtc port).
>
>I have only run it with 6.1.
>The rtc driver doesn't seem to work. However, afaik you only
>need that for win98 guest.

A friend of mine says it works fine for him with linux_base-7.1,
although he is only using it on -stable.

>  > When installing vmware2, it asks if I wanted to use netgraph
>>  bridging.  I said 'yes', as I'm sure that's what I did under
>>  stable.  It then asked which interface did I want to bind that
>>  to?  My ethernet card is fxp0.  Should I answer that as 'fxp0',
>>  or as '/dev/fxp0'?
>
>I didn't use bridging, host only however works fine for me.

Hrm.  Well, at the moment it seems to be something in the world of
netgraph setup which is killing me.  I expect it is something which
is intuitively obvious to someone who understands what netgraph is
doing, and what commands to type into "nghook" so vmware can do
what it wants to do.  That someone would not be me...  Sad to say I
am not a networking/netgraph expert, and if the truth be told I am
not eager to become one just to get vmware running.

I do have NETGRAPH in the kernel, and the script installed in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh does look like it's *trying* to setup
the right network from there, but it dies at the line which does
the 'echo -n > $dev_vmnet' claiming that there is no such device or
address (even though there does seem to be the right special-device
defined at that point, which is just /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1 ).

If I say "no" to netgraph bridging, will the guest-OS's running
under vmware be able to show up as a separate IP address on the
real network?

>Summarizing: vmware2 works fine under -current at the moment
>except for one problem that it can only be run once due to
>some thing we are looking into with the tap device.

Is this "only once per system reboot", or is it "only one instance
can be running at any given time"?

>Vladimir, what are your plans regarding vmware3, any time in the
>near future or can I happily start hacking again at it?

It'd be great if people had the time to improve on the port, and
to get to vmware3.  Some of my frustration is that the port needs
to be an idiot-proof, at least for when I'm the idiot who's trying
to get it running!