Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:11:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi problem solved

> Paul Richards writes:
>

> > Well, it didn't. Same problem, hung bus.
> >
> > It's working fine with just the disk and tape though, it's running a
> > backup as I do this.
>
> Paul, this is really starting to smell like cables.  It is time
> to go to the known SCSI-II cables and active termination.  Didn't you
> say you weren't sure they were all SCSI-II?

Ok, a summary and yes I proably agree with you its cables.

I've found a setup that works and I'm leaving it that way :-)

I had to disable scsi=ii and sync for all three devices, even that didn't
work first off. I then found a scsi chain configuration that did work, with
a scsi-ii cable from card to disk, scsi-ii from disk to cdrom and a
scsi-i (no more scsi-ii cables) from the cdrom to DAT with active
termination on the DAT.

I'm not using internal termination on any of the devices, just the controller,
I plug an active terminator into the back of the DAT.

Well, this has worked well under heavy loading for over 12 hours so I'm
not touching it :-) This whole box is a temporary setup so when we
buy the new server I'll make sure we get decent cables too :-)

Thanks for all the help guys.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul