Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:21:33 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

* Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.org> [001002 17:08] wrote:
> jkh         2000/10/02 17:08:16 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     etc                  inetd.conf
>   Log:
>   Turn fingerd OFF by default.  Comparative essentials like telnetd
>   are bad enough, but finger is hardly a critical system service and
>   it's traditionally been vulnerable to a variety of attacks; anybody
>   remember RTFM and his worm?

Can we please loose everything but telnet and ftp?  This getting
silly, your average user nowadays is less likely to know what rsh,
rlogin, comsat and ntalk are then to have an actual need for them.

And yes I also just had a mad scramble because I could have sworn that
finger was off by default, luckily it seems that I'd either killed
inetd or commented it out on all my hosts already.