Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 11:50:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ajohnson@c-com.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backups

In a previous message, Alberto Johnson said:
> Hi everybody who understand and love FreeBSD.  Here is my current problem.
> I'm currently running
> FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE on a production evarioment.  I'm Having some problems
> to do backups. here is the descirption of the problems. the way were doing
> backups is by using the following  Script
>
> mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
> /sbin/dump -0uBbf 4194304 32 /dev/nrst0 /
> /sbin/dump -0uBbf 4194304 32 /dev/nrst0 /home
> /sbin/dump -0uBbf 4194304 32 /dev/nrst0 /usr
> /sbin/dump -0uBbf 4194304 32 /dev/nrst0 /usr2
> mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
>

> Now when I go in the tape drive on an interacive mode doing the following
> command
> # /sbin/restore -if /dev/rst0
>
> once i get in I do the following...
> restore > ls
> .:
> COPYRIGHT        home/            popper.core      trafshow.tar.gz
> OK               kernel           proc/            usr/
> bin/             kernel.GENERIC   root/            usr2/
> dev/             kernel.old       sbin/            var/
> etc/             lkm/             stand/
> file.list        lost+found/      sys@
> ftpd.core        mnt/             tmp/
>
> Everthing until here looks ok,
>

> but when got to de following directories
> restore > cd home
> restore > ls
> ./home:		(This directory, or filesystem, or partition is empty)

The tape doesn't work this way. You put 4 files on the tape using
dump. If you want to restore from the file that contains /home you'll
want to do:

mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1
restore -if /dev/rst0

Read the man page for mt.

> restore > cd usr
> restore > ls
> ./usr:    		(This directory, or filesystem, or partition is empty)
>
> restore > cd usr2
> restore > ls
> ./usr2:   		(This directory, or filesystem, or partition is also empty)
>
> It seems that i'm only doing 25% of the total backup.
>
> Could Somebody give me a tip to correct this problem I'm very concern i my
> HDD crashes I'll have to look for another job.
>
> Alberto Johnson

There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
and that is not being talked about.        Oscar Wilde