Date:      04 Feb 2003 23:16:44 -0900
From:      Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
To:        "Denis N. Peplin" <info@volginfo.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba serving mac and windows

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 23:00, Denis N. Peplin wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 10:01, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> > We have a FreeBSD4.7 box setup as a fileserver using samba, this works
> > great for our windows users but not so good with our mac users. The
> > problem is this:
> >
> > A windows user can take a document off of the fileserver and edit that
> > file and save it back to the fileserver, no problem.
> >
> > A Mac user can connect to the fileserver and edit the same document but
> > when trying to save back to the fileserver they are asked to rename the
> > file because one by that name already exists.
>
> Mac clients often buggy and have poor support for smb networks.
> Try netatalk, native server for apple networks.
> /usr/ports/net/netatalk

We also tried netatalk with the same results. We did try some basic
tests with moving files and copying back and forth we would get the
error "file locked or in use". This seems to be a mac osx issue as more
than a few websites have threads talking of file corruption between the
mac and freebsd.

Jon