Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 02:07:41 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HD failure; possible causes??

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 10:53:19PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Hi all. Well, this weekend I had a couple of CCD disk arrays go belly up,
> > and I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with multiple disks
> > crashing at once.
> >
> > Originally I thought one of the disks in the pair had crashed, but when I
> > sent the drives to a data recovery place the guy informed me that both
> > disks were pooched - both of them had the heads physically touch the
> > media, destroying the platters and all data of course.
>
> Your expert sounds like he is full of B.S. when he says to look at
> your motherboard as a possible cause.  Plain and simple fact that an
> electronic device can not cause a physical failure of a disk drive.

It certainly sounded like B.S. to me - glad to hear I'm not the only
one who things so.  :-)

> Vibration, shock, or another physical thing happened here if 2 drives
> in the same chassis died at the same time with the same ``heads hit
> the platter'' failure mode, no doubt about it in my mind at all.

I would tend to agree. The only thing is that this is a rather large
chassis locked away in a control room. About the only physical thing
that could have shook it would be an earthquake. And trust me, about the
only way an earthquake would occur in Southern Ontario is if the Mir
space station fell out of orbit and somehow made it in one piece to the
surface, impacting just outside my building. In other words, it ain't
likely!  :-)

I'm pretty confident now that the Baracuda started vibrating like savage,
and probably had a big hickup as it said its last words. The hickup was
big enough to cause the disk above it to throw a hissy fit as well.
Bummer. At least this seems most likely - I went and plugged the dead
Baracuda in again and it did indeed vibrate enough to jitter across the
table on its own...

Thanks for the advice, I think you're exactly correct.

-Mark

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
"The newest book, The Dilbert Future, took a broader view, describing how
idiots will threaten every aspect of business, technology and society in
the future."	--Scott Adams