Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 00:59:14 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Including images in the documentation

[ Just to be absolutely certain this message gets across -- I don't know
  all the answers here.  If I'm asking questions they're not rhetorical. ]

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 02:42:51AM -0700, jkoshy@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > vector images.  Instead of storing EPS files in the repository we would
> > store the dia files, and generate the EPS from them at build time.
>
> I have two objections to `dia':
>
>   Size: `dia' requires GTK which in turn pulls in other dependencies;
>   ImageMagick is also big.

Yep.  I fully agree with you here.  I know what it's like to be behind
a slow link (33.6 modem until a week ago).  This is exactly why I want
alternatives.

>   I18N: How localized is `dia'?  Will it serve the needs of the -doc
>   translation teams?

Localized?  Do you mean the application, or it's output?

> Instead:
>
> Why not have EPS as the ``base format'' from which other formats are
> generated as needed?  Of the various choices, EPS seems to me today to
> scale the best across the available display technologies.  Further, it
> is a fairly compact and, being plain text,  works well with CVS.
> You can translate EPS into a number formats using ghostscript
> (including PNG).

How well are bitmaps covered in EPS?  I'm assuming we're going to want
to be able to use bitmaps, such as screen grabs.  I really don't know
how well suited EPS is as a format for bitmaps.

> Generating EPS:
>
> While visual tools like `dia' are a possibility, we also have:
>
> - MetaPost (already present in the teTeX distribution): a lightweight
>   tool for drawing simple diagrams of the kind we are likely to need.

I've taken a cursory glance at MetaPost now (more specifically, mpman.ps
in the doc/ directory).

Hmm.  I'm already getting flack from people for making the docs too
difficult to contribute to.  That looks to be a little daunting for the
novice user.  I'm aware that the more difficult we make this, the easier
it is for a potential contributor to think it's too much work, and not
bother.

Is there a visual editor for MetaPost?

> A related point:
>
> Most figures are going to need some text embedded in them.  When
> translated, this text can change radically in size and may need to be
> repositioned in the figure.    Boxes may need to be resized and/or
> moved around.  In the interest of easing the translation teams' work
> it would be useful to describe pictures in a high-level way (e.g:-
> "connect this box to that one there with a wavy line") and have the
> build process automatically handle the details of positioning
> and sizing of the picture's components.  This is possible today when
> using MetaPost or TeX.

Ditto with dia.  By default, dia's output format is compressed.  If you
tell it not to compress files ("File" -> "Preferences") then the save
format is a valid XML document, marked up in dia's own DTD.  This means
you can edit with any old text editor, embed

   <!-- $FreeBSD$ -->

at the top of each file, and so on.

> It would be even better to describe our figures in SGML :).  Do you know
> of any DTDs being used to describe figures and diagrams?

See previous paragraph.

If you feel better about it, you can consider dia to be a graphical editor
for a document marked up in XML.  If we can I'd be very happy if we can
get the dia-to-eps functionality in a separate tool without all the
additional dependencies (it's possible we can, my research hasn't gone
that far yet).