Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:43:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation problems

Hi,

Pentium III 450, BX2000 motherboard, 512MB RAM, Adaptec 2940B UW SCSI
(auto termination), 1xIBM 34560D (4.35GB, SCSI-id=1), 1xQuantum Viking II
(4.35GB SCSI-id=0, terminated).

Trying to install 3.2 from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM/Book.

It gets to installing the bin dist (from "User" set, default disk
partitions) into / and it will then either:

	Write failure on transfer (write returns -1)
	(If I try again, it normally panics the machine)
or
	just plain panics (saw a virtual address 0xc once)

I have tried without the IBM disk, disabling the CPU secondary cache,
disabling cpu internal and secondary cache (boy did that slow it down!).

I have even tried installing Red Hat 6.0 (machine panicked) and BSDI 3.1
(no problems at all!)

The machine came with BSDI/3.1 on it. Is that significant?

Searching the archives showed a thousand people over a thousand years
getting the write fails but I only found one reply. That one suggested any
or all of:

1) disabling cache (tried that -  ran slow then panicked)
2) check SCSI termination (done that)
3) put DOS on then overwrite it (not yet)

Or is all this a symptom of the hardware being screwed?

Colin
--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster