Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:44:15 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        lori broniszewski <lori.broniszewski@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video support

Hi Stan,

> broken server error message (happened w/Linux also). I'm using a
>compaq
> qvision video card and it's not supported (I selected both 188 & 397
>for
> my video card selections). Still nothing. Is there a driver for this

ah, that brain-dead p.o.s. It was (supposedly) the 'bees-knees' when it
was released, but Compaq wouldn't share with anyone, so it died in the
Khyber.

> piece of junk video card? Do I need to dump the garbage & go w/a card
> that is listed? I'm using a 486 dx4-100 and I know the selection is a
> bit limited. Anything would help. - Stan

I'd dump it, for sure. Even a Tseng ET4000 would be "better" (i.e.
supported by XFree86), the QVision isn't - see
<http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html>; . I'd try to rattle around for an
S3 card of some sort, specially a VESA (if your machine has VESA slots),
or if you're really lucky, I've heard of some late DX4/486's having PCI
slots. I'm using a DEC MTE Prioris DX4/100 with an S3 card (and only 1
Meg), but it does the job quite nicely.

hth,