Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:01:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        trout2@advancenet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fetchmail?

trout2@advancenet.net writes:
 >  i have recently got ppp going, now i want to get my mail from my isp.
 >
 >  i have been trying to get fetchmail to work. it the .fetchmailrc file, how
 > do you tell fetchmail where to put your mail? and, where is a good place? i
 > am using pine, so where does pine look? these are things i haven't been
 > able to find in the man pages.

Normally, the way I use fetchmail is in conjunction with sendmail.
The "default" installation of sendmail on freebsd is adequate (you may
need to change the "DM" line in your /etc/sendmail.cf to your ISP's
domain name to make your From lines correct).  For example, my
/etc/sendmail.cf has the following "DM" line:

DMxnet.com

Next, a quick and dirty way to run fetchmail (provided you're only
downloading mail for yourself and not for several users) is to edit
your .fetchmailrc to look something like:

set daemon 180  # Poll at 3-minute intervals

defaults
        fetchall

# Use this for production
poll YOUR.SMTPSERVER.COM protocol POP3:
        password YOURPASSWORD

This is almost exactly from the sample.fetchmailrc provided with the
sources for fetchmail (I compiled it myself instead of from the ports,
so dig in your ports source directory for this).