Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:41:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, dg@root.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:24:56 -0700 "Jordan K. Hubbard" said:
>		[Others said...]
>> I should also note that at that time the web documentation still referred
>> to 2.1 as the stable branch, and 2.2 as current, which did not help to
>> ease my confusion. I should HOPE this has changed by now :)
>
>It should be, though if you find any instances where it's still not,
>please point them out to www@freebsd.org! :)
>
>> So if my opinion counts for anything in this debate, it goes for the
>> 2.2.5-stable branch name. :)
>
>But the branch is called RELENG_2_2 - that is physically the name of
>the tag.  There is no RELENG_2_2_5 branch tag, which is what your
>suggestion would imply and cause even more confusion.
>
>I think we're really better off just leaving it the heck alone for
>now.  During BETA test is *not* the time to contemplate major changes
>in our release engineering strategy, for better or for worse.  This
>should have been brought up several months ago if Rod was actually
>hoping for any sort of genuine effect here. :-) As it is, I certain
>intend on doing absolutely nothing different than "usual" at this late
>stage in the game.

Well, I suspect that Rod thought he had "a genuine effect" back at
the 2.1 stage!!

Of course , I remember the _same_ argument occuring at the 2.1.5 to
2.1.7 beta/release stage...  I think the fact that the argument occurs
at _every_ major release point should point out that the terms Jordan
wants to use are at odds with a substantial number of users.  Heck,
having the labeling roll back like that is at odds with _everything_
I've been taught & have taught about life-cycle management in my 17+ year
career...

If it's the Beta release for the 2.2.5 version, then it should be
labeled as the 2.2.5 Beta.  The branch label & tags should reflect
that.  Effectively when you go into the beta cycle, ALL commits to
the 2.2-STABLE tree should stop, UNLESS you can guarantee simultaneous
commits to BOTH trees.  Because, if you insist on continuing the
old tree along with the new, they are seperate branches.

Yes, yes, I know that they're the same code, but the labeling _MUST_
be different.  Otherwise you can never be certain what you're
dealing with.  But it another way:  will there _ever_ be another
release based on 2.2.2?  No.  The date you declared the 2.2.5 beta
test period to be in effect has frozen 2.2.2 in time, with only
severe bug fixes to be applied.  Any new releases from the 2.x strain
_will_be_ based on 2.2.5.

Remember, cvs, branch labels and tags are there to support release
engineering & management, not to force you into a one-size fits none
mold.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting