Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 16:17:34 -0400
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Gilles Risch <gilles.risch@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerBook G4: Touchpad does not work.

Hi,

On Mon, 28 May 2012 15:20:46 +0200
Gilles Risch <gilles.risch@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I installed FreeBSD onto a 15" Powerbook G4 (Rev. D). I've
> followed the instructions from the atp manual page and added the
> following to my /etc/rc.conf:
>
> # Apple Touchpad
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_port="/deb/atp0"

I assume that's a typo, and is really "/dev/atp0"?

> Because that didn't work I checked the product id of the touch pad
> with: "usbconfig -u 0 -a 3 dump_device_desc"
>
> ugen0.3: <Apple Internal KeyboardTrackpad Apple Computer> at usbus0,
> cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>
>   bLength = 0x0012
>   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>   bcdUSB = 0x0200
>   bDeviceClass = 0x0000
>   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
>   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
>   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
>   idVendor = 0x05ac
>   idProduct = 0x020f
>   bcdDevice = 0x0028
>   iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Apple Computer>
>   iProduct = 0x0002  <Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad>
>   iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
>   bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
>
> Looks fine because 0x02f is supported according the manual page.
>
> A "less /var/log/messages | grep atp" gave me the following:
> May 28 11:30:32 powerbook kernel: atp_attach: failed to read device
> mode (22)
> May 28 11:30:32 powerbook kernel: device_attach: atp0 attach returned
> 6
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kind regards,
> Gilles

Error code 22 in that error string is USB_ERR_STALLED.

One option would be recompile without atp, and load it on demand as a
module.  That might prevent the stalling on the bus.

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  Have you tried a recent
-CURRENT snapshot?  There are recent RELENG_9 snapshots on
http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/ that you could try as well.

- Justin