Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:42:23 -0400
From:      "MET" <met@uberstats.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Mobil" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NVIDIA GeForce4 440 GoTM  video controller with 64MB

I just bought a new Dell laptop, Inspiron 8200.  I'm trying to install
XFree86 and KDE 3.0.  So here's what I've done.  I've installed FBSD
4.6.2 which installs XFree86 4.2.0.  At the end of install it asks me if
I want to configure the X Server, so I say yes.  The screen goes blank
as if its attempting to load the gray background w/ the mouse we've all
seen before.  However, it goes nuts with some blue-ish shacking thing.
I quickly press ctrl-alt-backspace which safely returns me to the CUI.
Not knowing how to fix this I sent a similar questions to
freebsd-questions and wasn't able to get specific responses, but I was
suggested to go to this mailing list (so here I am).

So I'm at a stand still...how do I get XFree86 to work if I can't even
configure it?  Someone on the questions list suggested that the correct
NVIDIA drivers probably aren't installed, if so, I noticed that NVIDIA
does offer Linux drivers for my card...should I install those?  And if
so....how?

Please someone help!!  I don't want to use Windows...or even Linux for
that matter.

~ Matthew

P.S.  I did get KDE 3 built and installed properly, but naturally I
can't view it.