Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:51:45 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no ports work anymore

[cc's trimmed appropriately]

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 09:32:07PM -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> 	PORTS ARE NOT BRANCHED.
>
> There is no RELENG_3 of ports-base. There is a RELENG_3_0_RELEASE
> or however > the hell they're tagged
> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi or `cvs log' for > the answer).
>
> You are asking cvsup for something that does not exist.

Hmm.. I wonder if it would be possible for the cvsup server to maintain
a list of "allowed tags" for each collection it makes available, with
no file (or an empty one) meaning "any tag you want"

We could then have the server return "Hey, here's a gun, and a bullet"
for bad tags for the ports-* case (only *_RELEASE and '.'), and
simply stop, rather than (quite correctly) emptying an entire
magazine into the hapless users ports tree..

And before anyone shouts "patches accepted", I have to state that
I have absolutely no idea how to code this in "NotC", and
Modula-anything sends shivers down my spine :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.