Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 10:03:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@sliphost37.uni-trier.de>
To:        ashworth@cs.montana.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif?

Hello Justin,

Justin Ashworth has written recently:
> Is there any way to make use of ports that require Motif without
> actually going out and buying the package from DEC? Will Motif even run
> on FreeBSD?

There are implementations of Motif available for FreeBSD, I know of at
least three different ones. The probably most known one is offered by
XInside Inc. For details, look at their web site at http://www.xig.com

> Nedit and GIMP both require Motif, and those would be handy
> ports to have. Is there a workaround for this? I recall having installed
> Nedit on a non-Motif'd FreeBSD box in the past and it ran without any
> problems. The port didn't require Motif back then. I've tried commenting

If a port requires Motif, then this means that both compiling and
linking the program will always require Motif. But if you actually need
Motif to execute this program later depends on how it has been linked at
build time.

When your program has been linked statically against the Motif
libraries, then it contains all necessary parts of these libraries so
that it will also run perfectly in an environment that has no Motif
support at all. This is the case with the packages that are pre-built
for distribution with the FreeBSD releases.

> out the line that says Motif is required, but it still pukes. I've tried
> installing lesstif to see if that could work as a replacement but it
> doesn't.

Lesstif is still in its development stage and has not reached the
stability yet so that it can be used as a general replacement for the
original Motif libraries.

--
             Sascha Blank - mailto:blank@fox.uni-trier.de
  Student and System Administrator at the University of Trier, Germany