Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:24:31 -0700
From:      Galen Sampson <galen.sampson@gmail.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>,  FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Possibility of backporting of Heimdal 1.1

I would like to second that.  The heimdal in 7.0 is quite old.  It is in
fact inoperable with an mit kerberos realm when using ssh.  The byte
order is incorrect such that you get MIC checksum failures.  After much
googling (not documented in the krb5.conf man page or handbook) I found
that a fix was added in the heimdal in 7.0, but defaults to the old
incompatible byte order.  The heimdal in current uses the correct byte
order by default.  For those having the this issue with freebsd 7.0 the
fix is adding the following lines to /etc/krb5.conf:

[gssapi]
 correct_des3_mic = host/*@SOME.REALM