Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:27:32 -0500
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-office@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for slow print preview

--------------enigD57180F2AA3859E2B076AC2F

On 11/26/2012 02:46, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> [Somewhat late]
>=20
> On 2012-Nov-09 11:14:27 -0500, Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to> wrote:
>> I never did find precisely where the somewhere was (the X process was
>> eating up 100% of the cpu during this thumbnail draw) but the fix for =
me
>> was to change cups and the lo printer driver to the the ones marked wi=
th
>> "-ijs".  In my situation the old driver was an ordinary laserjet4
>> attached to cups with the recommended HP .ppd from HP.  *These old
>> drivers are not IJS compliant and that results in the long delays*
>=20
> I've seen this as well.  It's extremely noticable when using X
> remotely (it can take 30s or more to show the thumbnail) and the
> poking I've done at it suggess that OO/LO is rendering the page into
> the Xserver and then retrieving the resultant bitmap - but doing so as
> inefficiently as possible.
>=20
> I'm not using CUPS, so switching CUPS drivers won't work, but I might
> have a further look into exactly what is happening.
>=20

It's an annoying problem, isn't it?  One vexing thing for me about it
was during routine day to day operation a portmaster upgrade sometimes
inexplicably would tickle something that allowed the thumbnailing to
speed up again but only temporarily.

In writer (perhaps others) from File->Printer
Settings->Properties->device, the printer language type, if you have a
=2Epdf selection you may want to try enabling it.  Or if your spadmin
works (mine's complaining about read only directories this morning) try
selecting a driver for your printer not for postscript or anything other
than pdf.   Converting the ps to pdf and back again eats a lot of
cycles.  I don't remember specifically and can't test it due to the r/o
issue now but the cups driver selection was not the essential bit so
much as getting LO to generate .pdf for the printer.