Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:58:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        francisco@natserv.com, Laurence Berland <karlmarx@howlongcanadomainnameb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD

On Saturday, 19 September 1998 at 19:24:50 -0000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On 19-Sep-98 Laurence Berland wrote:
>> I saw a system running NetBSD, what is this and how is it different from
>> freeBSD?
>
> What it is, is best described at www.netbsd.org
> Basically it is another Unix, just as Linux is another Unix.

Well, that's not the way I would put it.  NetBSD is (just) another
UNIX, just as OpenBSD is (just) another UNIX.  Linux is a UNIX clone.

> The general comments I have read are that OpenBSD is the most secure,
> NetBSD is the most portable and FreeBSD is the best performer.

I suppose that's a reasonable first approximation.  I have another
one.  At the AUUG conference last week, I was told that the typical
FreeBSD developer is a professional programmer in the commercial
sector, the typical NetBSD developer is a professional programmer in
research and Government, and the typical OpenBSD or Linux developer is
either a student or a hobbyist.  This is a broad generalization, of
course, and at the moment I'm observing to decide how accurate it is.
It was certainly surprising to note that at the conference the Linux
people weren't well known to the organizers, whereas the *BSD people
were, and that there were approximately equal numbers of Linux and
*BSD users present.

Greg