Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 19:01:17 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need advice for SMP production server

On Sun, Jul 20, 1997 at 07:04:59PM +0300, Penisoara Adrian wrote:

>     Hi !
>
>   I need some advice regarding a full reinstall for an 2xP133 server (Tyan
> Tomcat III S1563D with AHA2940AU).
>   Currently I have 3.0-9702090-SNAP with the pre-Lite2 kernel (and its
> aic7xxx SCSI problem); I plan to install a newer 3.0-current version and I
> have to choose between the 3.0-970618-SNAP on the official FreeBSD server
> and the daily snapshots from current.FreeBSD.org.

Generally I'd want to warn you, that -current is not the typical
environment for a production machine. You should use FreeBSD-2.2.2
and cvsup the 2.2-STABLE version.

On the other hand -current is since a long time in a very good
shape with only minor trouble from time to time. And it's the
only release, that has SMP capabilities.

Since I use better hardware and have a new power supply, I had no
big trouble and am running a very fast 2 x 200 MHz PPro machine.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD