Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:54:53 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        angussf@geoapps.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

At 02:37 PM 11/10/1999 -0700, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

>I think the whole computer business is in Big Trouble - once the
>government steps in and starts telling us how to run our businesses,
>innovation will drop to a crawl as bus.people try to 2nd-guess the govt
>regulators.

Nonsense. What the government seeks to rein in is not software design
but rather anti-competitive business practices. The fact that some of
the practices were implemented by tweaking the software is only
incidental to the case, and the government is well aware of this.

To say that the government should not intervene because Microsoft's
illegal actions were accomplished (in part) via software design is akin to
saying  that the government should not punish fraud because it is
accomplished via speech.

--Brett