Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:05:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Ulrich_Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please review WINE chapter addition and linuxemu rename

---902635197-1672352344-1338601841=:92108

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> in the process of adding the WINE section from the wiki to the handbook
> (GCIN 2011 project, yeah I know, I was rather busy ...), I also took the
> liberty of renaming it from linuxemu to compat. Also in the hope that
> someday we might have a blurp on SVR4 compatibility, although I guess no
> one is really interested in that.
>
> Anyway, please review the proposed changes at
> https://github.com/uqs/freebsd-doc/commits/wine
> or clone that branch and have a closer look.

Like Gabor suggested, a single diff makes it easier to see all that has
changed.

> Rendering of that branch can be found here:
> https://www.spoerlein.net/handbook/compat.html

Just looking at the WINE section:

   "check the Wine AppDB on their main website."

"their main website" could be removed.

Those <programlistings> should be <screen> sections:

&prompt.root; /etc/rc.d/ldconfig start</screen>

And so on.  Note that the ending tag should go on the last line of
output.  If it is on a line of its own, there's an extra blank line in
the rendered version.

> Perhaps we need to keep the anchor names for the linuxemu sections, to
> not break too many links out there. Is there a way to add aliases so we
> could deprecated the linuxemu anchors over time?

I suspect it's all or nothing.  Leave them as-is, or change them and
anything that refers to them.  That may not be too hard; just do the
whole doc tree.  (Do translators translate ID names?  I don't know.)
---902635197-1672352344-1338601841=:92108--