Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:45:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        Maribel March Hermo <d9907903@est.fib.upc.es>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intalling WindowsNT,FreeBsd 3.4,FreeBsd 4.1

The 3.4 bootloader doesn't like start cylinders greater than 1024.  My 3.X
solution was to put "stub installs" within the first 100M and then mount
stuff like swap, var, usr, _ad nauseum_in the >1024 cyl area.  Even though
the 4.X bootloader doesn't mind cyl >1024, it's a good habit to keep--it
reminds you to keep root partition discipline.

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Maribel March Hermo wrote:

> Dear sir,
>
> I need to install these three OS (FreeBsd 3.4, FreeBsd 4.1 and Windows

+> NT) on my PC urgently for academic matters.

> I have installed Windows NT on the first partition and FreeBsd 4.1 on
> the second one, but I find problems when I try to install FreeBsd 3.4 on
> the last partition.
>
> The boot manager shows the error message "can't load kernel" or "read
> error" when I select the FreeBsd 3.4.
>
> I think that the FreeBsd 3.4 installation is okay and the problem is the
> boot manager that I installed during the FreeBsd 4.1 installation. It
> seems that it doesn't see the file system of 3.4.
>
> I have tried to create the partition with /stand/sysinstall menu on
> FreeBsd 4.1 and continue the 3.4 installation from floppies, but I
> haven't got good results.
>
> Please, send me your answer at d9907903@est.fib.upc.es
> I need to install it urgently!!!!! If you don't know to find a solution
> of my problem, please send me an e-mail too.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Maribel M.H.

Sacred cows make the best burgers

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!!!