Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:25:55 +0000
From:      "ian (Ian Lepore)" <phabric-noreply@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Differential] [Commented On] D2017: Allow to disable alignment faults in the kernel configuration file

ian added a comment.

I disagree, adding this IS a big deal.  As soon as we have a kernel out there that can support unaligned accesses, people will build userland apps that rely on that being true, and at that point we can't change it back without effectively breaking the ABI.

Having the discussion about the implications of doing this is definitely something we should do up-front, because changing our minds will be somewhere between painful and impossible.  (Look at the other things we've done without much thought, such as labeling an architecture "armv6" even though it's really armv7, then spending years trying to explain that armv6 means something different in FreeBSD.)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2017

To: zbb, ian, andrew, imp
Cc: meloun-miracle-cz, freebsd-arm