Date:      	Tue, 18 Apr 1995 23:44:54 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   QIC-80 for backups - is this right?

	I've got a Colorado Memory QIC-80 "floppy tape" drive,
which I bought to do backups.  I'm now wondering if it's time to
sell it and get something else!

	I'm trying to get an epochal dump of the root, just to try
things out.  I'm doing:

# dump 0fbB - 64 2650 /dev/rsd0a | ft

	It's been running for hours.  It steps the tape for quite
awhile in tiny jerks that I can't believe are really streaming the
tape, then it'll do a long forward-and-reverse motion, then back
to tiny jerks.  Is this normal?  Is this an indication that the
ft0 driver needs serious help?  Should I throw this thing off a pier
and dump over a thousand bucks into SCSI tape?  What's going on
here?

Mike O'Brien